Monday, October 26, 2009

Adventures in Cupcakes - Or, How to Throw Stuff All Over Your Kitchen

This blog has moved to a new domain: HurraBier.com. Please take a moment to update your bookmarks.

New URL for this post: http://hurrabier.com/adventures-in-cupcakes-or-how-to-throw-stuff-all-over-your-kitchen

This was a full weekend of working, cooking, and socializing. Saturday was spent working at the wine and beer shop, which is always a good time. I love the camaraderie and sense of community between the owners and the customers, and I never fail to learn something new. And of course, I typically come home with something new to taste, which gives new meaning to “Will Work for Beer”.


This time, I brought home a couple bottles of Southern Tier Crème Brulée Stout and a bottle of Tröegs Java Head Stout. Naturally, the wheels started turning…what to pair them with?


Late last month, I came across a recipe for Chocolate Stout Layer Cake with Chocolate Frosting, and have been doing everything in my power to find an excuse to try it out.  I can’t just make a chocolate cake for any old weeknight dinner, because inevitably there will be leftovers, and then I’d feel obligated to eat the leftovers - and the vicious cycle continues. However, with a dinner party to attend last night, I had the perfect reason to test this recipe, but I did it with some small alterations - including changing the layer cake format into individual cupcakes.


Though I found the recipe on epicurious.com, it originally comes from Bon Appétit Magazine, and was written by Bruce Aidells.


This recipe calls for ¾ cup chocolate stout, but strong fresh-brewed coffee is also a key ingredient, which is why I chose to cook with the Tröegs Java Head Stout. After a few sips of this distinct brew, I decided that I’d rather bake with it than drink it on its own. The brewing process makes use of whole Kenyan coffee beans, which are at the forefront of every sip. This was a little strong willed for my taste. However, the finish does have a slight citrus presence, which may be attributed to the way the whole flower Cluster, Cascade, and Chinook hops are subjected to a sort of “French press” style of brewing.




Also key to this recipe is the use of really good chocolate. I used a pound of Callebaut, which is made in Canada by a chocolatier by the name of Bernard Callebaut, whose family has been in the fine chocolate business for generations. It’s not cheap, but it tastes extravagant. I also learned the hard way that the amount of frosting needed for a cupcake is a lot less than the amount needed for a tall cake. No shortage of frosting at my house.


The first batch of cupcake batter went fairly smoothly. I substituted brown sugar in place of white sugar, which I believe may have lead to the too-dense consistency of the cake. Also, I used unsalted butter while the recipe called for salted butter -- something I wouldn’t repeat if making this again. But other than that, the cake batter and the frosting were both pretty uncomplicated, and enjoyable to prepare. And being that it was a cozy fall day here in DC, I chopped a chocolate brick, mixed, and sifted ingredients to my hearts content, content to be dry and indoors.





Unfortunately, the serene afternoon of baking came to a screeching halt when taking the first tray of cupcakes out of the oven. The heat from the pan was too much for my little oven mitt, and in a panic of scorched nerve endings, I ended up tossing the cupcakes all over the kitchen. Ugh.


Cupcakes in the rug, cupcakes smashed on the floor, cupcakes smeared across kitchen cabinets, batter on the wall - it wasn’t pretty. After some colorful cursing, a quick clean-up, and a few minutes of calming back rubs from my thoughtful onlooker, I was on to batch #2.


Unfortunately (or fortunately, in my case) I was out of the Java Head Stout and had to substitute with the Southern Tier Crème Brulée Stout. The second batch of cupcakes was done in no time, and frosting them was a breeze. Without the frosting, though, I’m not sure I’d have much interest in this cake. The dough was a little too dense and heavy, without the über-chocolatey taste I was expecting.





Southern Tier Crème Brulée Stout is the most delectable dessert beer I have ever tasted. This stuff is like sarsaparilla heaven in liquid form. I couldn’t drink more than a small glass, so a bomber can be shared between friends. It’s creamy without being overly sweet, and pours super dark with little carbonation. Definitely one you’ll want to linger with.  Maybe over a chocolate cupcake, even.





Last night’s dinner party was great - good friends and good food, hilarious conversation, a side of MLB and NFL alternating channels and a bunch of people streaming in and out of the kitchen all night long. We paired the cupcakes with Cookies & Cream flavored ice cream, which made for the perfect addition.  Even though I won't be making cupcakes again anytime soon, I've got plenty left over to snack on.  Probably while admiring my freshly scrubbed floor...and cabinets...and walls...with a glass of stout in hand, and a smile on my face.



No comments:

Post a Comment